The Horticultural Society of Cracow
was established in 1893, as one of the first in Poland.
The organisation was an idea of the
Professor Edward Janczewski - remarkable polish botanist and gardener.
Thanks to his efforts, as well as his assistant at the Jagiellonian
University - Piotr Józef Brzeziński and help of the Cracovian
intellectuals and enthusiasts the idea could be accomplished.
The main objective of the Society
was to raise the level of the horticultural production in the region of
Cracow and Western Malopolska. Its first tasks were to enlarge the area
of gardens, introduce new, valuable speciments of fruit-trees and
vegetables to the cultivation and to generalise the modern technologies
From the very beginning the
Horticultural Society of Cracow opened the freeware courses in the
field of gardening. It included the theoretical subjects as well as the
One of its great achievements was
implementation of the model-orchards in the first half of the 20-th
During more than 110 years The
Horticultural Society of Cracow had good periods with intervals of
collapses (like two world wars) but never stopped its activity.
Nowadays The Society has several
members and three themathic clubs (Floristic Club, Orchid Club and House and Garden Club) who unites peoples in view of personal
interests. To know more about the Clubs and its achievments, see its own sities.